Thank you for your interest in Hubway. Hubway is Boston's regional bike sharing system that gives members access to more than 1,700 bikes at 170 stations, designed to offer a one-way transportation option, similar to a bus or train.
This kit will provide you with some core statistics of Hubway's operations, links to public ridership data, and hi-res, print-ready images.
- Launched on July 28, 2011, with 610 bicycles and 60 stations throughout the City of Boston.
- In the summer of 2012, the system expanded to Brookline, Cambridge and Somerville.
- By the end of 2013, the system footprint covered approximately 20 square miles, and by the end of 2015, 25 square miles.
- Hubway is owned by the governments of the Cities of Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville, and by the Town of Brookline. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council oversees the interaction and use between municipalities.
- Hubway is operated by Motivate, which operates some of the largest bike share systems around the world, including New York's Citi Bike, San Francisco’s Bay Area Bike Share, Chicago’s Divvy Bikes, Washington D.C.'s Capital Bikeshare, and Portland's BIKETOWN. Each system has a different operating profile based on the scale.
Membership and Ridership
- More than 4.65 million trips have been taken by Hubway riders since the 2011 launch (as of 8/17/16)
- An estimated 60,000 unique riders took trips in 2015
(24-Hr & 72-Hr)
Stations and Operations
Hubway's solar-powered stations consist of a variable number of docks, plus a kiosk that can be used for purchasing Day Passes & 3-Day Passes, finding nearby stations, seeing real-time bike availability, and more. Some stations are equipped with key dispensers, and members can select to have new keys mailed to them or to retrieve them directly from a station. There is also a two-sided information panel which displays a map of the service and usage instructions.
There are stations serving every line of the T, commuter rail and ferry, as well as more than 60 bus routes to accommodate multi-modal trips. Hubway employs 4-5 rebalancing vans, each with a payload of 20-25 bikes, are used to redistribute bicycles between 6am and 10pm, 7 days a week. Bicycles are redistributed dynamically in response to real-time data.
|2011||61||610||July 28||Nov 30||126|
|2012||105||1050||April 3||Nov 28||240
|2013||130||1200||April 2||Nov 27*||240*
|2014||140||1300||April 2||Nov 26**||239**
|2015||155||1500||April 17||Nov 25***||223***
*Hubway remained open in Cambridge (26 stations) between November 2013 and March 2014. During that time, Hubway members took 34,602 rides, averaging approximately 2,100/week.
**62 Boston-based stations remained open through December 31, 2014. An additional 32 Cambridge-based stations remained open year-round.
***111 (out of 155) stations remained open through December 7, 2015. Of those, 108 will stay open through December 31. Of those, the 37 Cambridge-based stations will remain open year-round.
****In 2016, stations were activated on a rolling basis as they were deployed. Off-street & sidewalk station locations were deployed throughout March, on-street locations in April. Stations located on or adjacent to the Boston Marathon route get deployed after the race in mid-April.
View all active stations on the Hubway System Map.
To download a spreadsheet of all regular season stations (as of the end of the 2015 regular season), including latitude and longitude coordinates, click here.
Station information is also publicly available in an xml feed. This feed is the same one that powers Hubway Tracker, Spotcycle and other third-party apps.
2105 Most Popular Stations
|STATION||MUNICIPALITY||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||TOTAL STATION VISITS|
|TD Garden (North Station) - Portal Park #1 & #2||Boston||30,485||35,425||65,910
|South Station - 700 Atlantic Ave||Boston||30,791||31,277||62,068
|MIT at Mass Ave / Amherst St||Cambridge||29,618||29,933||59,551|
|Harvard Square at Mass Ave / Dunster||Cambridge||22,673||23,587||46,260
|Central Square at Mass Ave / Essex St||Cambridge||21,461||20,900||42,361
|Boston Public Library||Boston||19,278||19,862||39,140
|MIT Stata Center at Vassar St / Main St||Cambridge||16,894||21,735||38,629
|Lafayette Square at Mass Ave / Main St / Columbia St||Cambridge||19,378||19,072||38,450
Rider Trip Records
|Daily||7,507||Tuesday, August 9, 2016|
|Weekly||44,461||June 20-26, 2016
Additional Tools & Resources